Did you know that traditional carbonara recipes often don't contain cream? It's amazing, isn't it, that you can get a creamy sauce without using cream. Think about mayonnaise. It also doesn't contain cream (if you make it yourself - who knows what they put in the jar). Egg yolks are amazing little things - they have so many properties, and when you whip them up with olive oil, they go all creamy.
Unfortunately, carbonara has always contained cheese. So to make up for lack of the flavour this adds, I've added a little extra salt, a touch of paprika and some crushed garlic.
- 500g Pasta (I used gluten free macaroni)
- 400g bacon, trimmed and chopped (I used a smoked pork fillet)
- 3 egg yolks*
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and paprika to taste
- chopped chives or parsley for garnish