- 150 - 200g Haloumi Cheese
- a sprinkling of plain flour (about 1-2 tablespoons)
- 2 slices of bread (large dice)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves (plucked, not chopped)
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs (I used purple basil, za'atar/savoury and oregano)
- 2 cups cos leaves (loosely chopped)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (large dice)
- juice of 1 lemon
- a couple of glugs of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
(dressing may require a touch of sugar or mirin if tomatoes are not ripe and sweet)
- Slice haloumi into 1/2 cm strips, then dust with flour. Pan-fry in hot pan in a small amount of olive oil until browned on both sides (about 1 minute each side). Set aside to cool, then panfry the garlic in a dash more oil, adding the bread and a good pinch of salt and fry until you have some flavoursome crispy croutons.
- Assemble other salad ingredients and toss through with lemon juice, a little olive oil (about 1/2 a tablespoon), salt and pepper, and sugar/mirin if necessary.
- Just before serving, add haloumi and croutons and toss gently.
You may wish to add green olives or a small amount of finely diced preserved lemons if you like a sour salad.