12 February 2012

Corn bread without the corn meal

OK - so if you've read previous posts, I'm ditching wheat. I've said goodbye to dairy. I'm getting as much sugar as possible out of our diets. I'm also using unprocessed and non-preserved items wherever I can, to avoid a whole heap of toxic nasties. Also, when refining into meal, corn loses some of its natural goodness. Now, I'm not saying this is all good, but for my family, not only is this a better alternative to ahem, the alternative, but it ticks the other boxes (wheat, dairy, sugar), and hides a daily vegetable. And I can put them in a lunchbox.

Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups self raising gluten free flour*
  2. 1 cup finely grated carrot (1 medium to large carrot should do it)
  3. 1 cup steamed corn kernels
  4. 125ml coconut milk
  5. 125ml olive oil
  6. 2 eggs
  7. pinch of salt
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 180ÂșC, then put the corn, oil, milk and eggs into a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Add to large bowl, stir in carrot, then sift flour and salt, then fold through wet mix
  3. spoon into greased or lined muffin tins (I use mini ones and get 24)and bake for 12-15 minutes (for small, 15-20 for standard cupcake size) or until just changing colour and firm yet springy to the touch.


*A note on substitution: I use a self raising gluten free flour because many baking powders have gluten in them, and I just find it easier. This could easily be replaced with a wholegrain flour such as spelt, and about 4 teaspoons of baking powder. If you want to make it easier, use tinned sweetcorn. Coconut milk could easily be replaced by any other milk, e.g. rice milk, cows milk, even camel milk (yes, we get that here in Dubai). The olive oil could be replaced with 125g butter, 125ml of extra virgin coconut oil, etc etc.

If you want to be naughty after you've made these healthyish treats, spread some butter on the inside and sprinkle with salt. mmmm


Lion's taste rating: 7/10
Healthy inclusions: 7/10
Unhealthy inclusions: 1/10

Notes on the good stuff:


9 comments:

  1. I love corn bread. This is an interesting recipe. Looks like a healthy mix. A must try =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you used coconut milk. Must be fragrant! I love your diet, although i would have to read your previous posts to know why.. The corn bread certainly looks much better than those store brought. Looks light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are fragrant! I love coconut milk - I just tried it with a mango and lime cake (recipe coming soon once I perfect it - wasn't sweet enough the first time) and the flavour REALLY worked in that. Yes, they are very light and fluffy, and the corn and carrot lend just a touch of sweetness. Diet is GFCF with a veering also towards low sugar and synthetic additives. I have a son with an ASD (high functioning) and we're trying it to see if it helps. So far, so good! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
    2. If these changes don't make enough of a difference, check out the GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) diet/protocol. It would be similar to what you are doing now, but grain/starch free. We are nutritional therapists and I am a Certified GAPS Practitioner- it does wonders for ASD, allergies, asthma, depression/anxiety, IBS/Crohns/Colitis and other gut-based issues. Will give this recipe a go!

      Delete
  3. the original recipe just sounds delicious!
    one question, how did you get the wrapping? conventional baking paper or those are specials baking cups?
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrapping is just baking paper. Cut in a square, then diagonally from the corners cut in, only about halfway towards the centre. Then just squeeze into the muffin tin and spoon mix in carefully, making sure it doesn't pop up. Nothing fancy I'm afraid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you add the carrots to the blender with the corn,milk,eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to sack the editor! Either add into the blender, or I stir them through before I sift through the flour. Thanks for pointing out - I'll correct.

      Delete

Think you have time for this one?

Please Stumble Me!