I have some gorgeous Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla in my pantry. For some reason, I'd been saving it for something special, using vanilla sugar or standard vanilla essence in my cooking. Now I'm avoiding using excess sugar, I find myself stretching into my pantry and grasping for flavours that will disguise the fact that my baking is not sweet. The wonderful thing about this is that without extra sugar, you can taste all the tropical flavours - mango, coconut, vanilla and lime. I have to admit though - I'd prefer it with a daiquiri, not tea...
- 4 eggs
- 250g mango (or one 425g tin, drained)
- 400ml flour (I use gluten free)
- 4 tsp (20ml) baking powder
- 125ml virgin coconut oil
- 100ml sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (375°F), then put the mango slices, eggs, vanilla, sugar, lime and coconut oil in a blend and puree until smooth.
- fold through sifted dry ingredients, then pour into a lined baking tin and cook for 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
Lion's taste rating: 8/10
Healthy inclusions: 5/10
Unhealthy inclusions: 2/10