25 April 2011

Saffron and Honey Breakfast Cake

Friday morning is the start of the weekend in this part of the world. It is the holy day, and so we rest on Fridays and Saturdays. I am still getting used to the whole 'work' routine on Sundays, but something I have settled into quite nicely is pancake morning on Fridays. It's an institution. 

But this week, Friday came at the end of holidays where we had worn our Friday institution out a little - when you have something every day, it is no longer a novelty. And so, to mark the special day, I really had to pull one out of the hat. So, with my new-found confidence in baking, I decided to make cake. I figured if it was shallow, then it would cook quickly, so this is what I came up with.


Ingredients:

  • 80g soft butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour (I used wholemeal, and sifted the big bits out)
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate or soda
  • 1/4 tsp saffron
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180ᵒC. Sift flour and bicarbonate. Put saffron in the buttermilk.
  2. In a second bowl, cream butter and sugar with a beater on slow, then add honey, then the eggs one by one. Turn speed to medium, and add flour and milk alternating
  3. Pour into a pre-greased or lined pan (I used a 22cm round), and cook for about 15-20 minutes until a spike tests clean (poke a skewer in the middle and if it comes out fairly clean, it's cooked - if it has goo on it, leave it in)

Serve hot from the oven with cubes of butter and lashings of melted honey (combine equal parts honey and water and heat until dissolved).

2 comments:

  1. I knwo you too well Sarah....was it really meant to eb shallow?! Looks delicious and do I see a vintage and very worn out cutlery in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, not vintage, Daiso again!!! Love that shop. You must check out their strawberry and grapefruit teaspoons. And yes, intention was for cake to be shallow. I wanted it to cook quickly - i had two kids chanting "I'm hungry, I'm starving!"... and only other alternative was cupcakes - not what I wanted for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Think you have time for this one?

Please Stumble Me!