- 2 cups Prawns - cleaned, cooked, peeled and cooled. (you can buy them this way)
- 1 avocado
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1 lemon
for the sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard (I use Dijon)
- 1 tbsp vinegar (I use white wine)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp cream, whisked to soft peaks
- dash tomato sauce
- dribble Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make a mayonnaise by vigorously beating the egg yolks, mustard and salt and pepper until rich and creamy, then add vinegar and slowly pour in olive oil (electric easier!). This should fairly successfully emulsify, but if all else fails, use store-bought mayo. (it still tastes pretty good)
- Add whipped cream and other seasonings to mayonnaise, adjusting seasoning if necessary.
- chop avocado and most of the prawns, and add them to the mayonnaise, and use the remainders for garnish, along with lemon wedges and cos, then pour mix on top.
If you use a store bought mayonnaise and buy your prawns peeled, this entire dish can be prepared in about 5 minutes.
This is a fairly saucy ratio - you may want to add more prawns and avocado, and maybe a big squeeze of lemon if you like a lighter style. Cucumber, sugar snap peas, green mango and many other crisp greens could be added or used in place of cos and avocado. Mint and/or dill are also lovely additions.