02 May 2011

Roasted Honey Pumpkin

It's amazing how many of my my greater achivements in the kitchen have come from a desire to get good food into the mouths of my children. Mother is the necessity of invention, they say, and it is so true. 

I love pumpkin. Soups, curries, roasted, scones, pie - all are great. But my children hate it. So to make them like it, I partner it with something I know they love, and I make sure they are in the kitchen helping me, so they can see the honey going in. This is the easiest way to cook delicious pumpkin - prep is less than 5 minutes, and the rest of the work is done by the oven.


Ingredients:
  • pumpkin, chopped into 1-inch cubes - as much as you like, but I use a half of a butternut squash to feed my 4.
  • a pinch of saffron threads
  • a drizzling of honey
  • a glug of olive oil
  • a light sprinkle of cardamom powder
  • salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions:
  1. combine all ingredients (with hands - this is a good job for kids) and cook at 200ᵒC until soft (about 40 minutes)


Goes perfectly with my basic roast chook (coming in the next post), or has a multitude of uses. 
  • Allow it to cool, and puree with a dollop of creme fraiche, a squeeze of lemon, optional chilli powder and a glug of olive oil and serve as a dip.
  • Combine with chicken stock, cream and cashews and puree to make a delicious roast pumpkin soup.
  • Allow to cool and serve with crumbled goats curd or soft feta, almonds and fresh rocket leaves, and dress with a simple dressing made of lemon juice, olive oil and sumac.







1 comment:

  1. I feed a teaspoon of honey to Maryam when shes ill and she hates it now.....I'm glad teh boys are helping out in the kitchen...Maryam does too sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Think you have time for this one?

Please Stumble Me!